Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Guide me oh leather master

OK. So I went for coffee with friend tonight...then we went to Giant Tiger, and to Talize (I'd never been to Talize before). At Giant tiger I think I totally scored...H and I still don't have curtains on the dining room patio door...so our main living area is sort of like living in a fish bowl when it gets dark, and there is a walking path that runs just behind our fence...it's a little creepy. We were given some money for Christmas and I wanted to buy curtains, but seriously curtains are EXPENSIVE! Guess what I found at the GT boutique....curtains...for about 1/2 the price of the ones I was about to give in and order from Sears. They're not exactly what I was looking for..the have a back tab top, instead of grommets, and they're ivory faux suede instead of white something or other....but they're so close and I think they'll work great!

So then at Talize I looked for some leather. I can't believe how much I had to choose from! It's incredible! I picked up too large mens coats. They are both in great shape, I will almost be sad to cut them up. The first is suede, the second is leather. Have a look.......lot's of leather yardage in these two!
I love LOVE the colour and the intersting seams in this one, it's hard to see in the picture, but there are neato little seam lines running vertically on the front...and on the back.
See, lot's o' yardage....
And now...if I actually get over the fear of cutting and sewing leather, maybe I'll make that book cover...... oh leather master..... teach me your ways :-) Actually....can I just mail you the leather...and you can put it together for me :-P

3 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

How neat that you found a great deal on curtains. Good luck on your leather project. I think it would be hard for me to cut up those jackets, too.

Tracy Purtscher said...

SCORE!!!!!!!!
I'm thrilled for you!!!!!!
First step to take to overcome the fear of cutting leather. Put the coat on and tell yourself vehemently how horrible it looks on you. :o) Then start by cutting out the inning removing big crazy hunks of fabric. After you've render the garment "un repairable" using the leather for another purpose is your only option. :o)

Let me know if you need some pix to help clarify what I told you the other day.

I can't wait to see your new cover and all other manner of leather goodness. :o)

Jennifer said...

Sweet! I can't wait to see your leather projects. This hasn't even crossed my radar so I'm watching excitedly!